Interpersonal conflict

Sometimes in a stressful environment, we may feel frustrated, and without realizing, channel all of this frustration to the people around us, which may then lead to a conflict.

Last year, during the long break before starting university, I worked part-time at Singapore Zoo as a  photographer. As part of the job scope, we had to also do sales and we had to reach a target amount by the end of the day. Usually there are three staffs stationed at the sales kiosk, however on my second day of work, due to the lack of manpower, there were only two of us. 

Before the hectic period of the day, my colleague taught me briefly on how to place an order on the system so that the photo can be printed immediately and thereafter attend to more customers. Due to the brief instructions on how to use the system, I could not comprehend most of what was taught to me. Immediately after this, there was a huge group of tourist who came to view their photos and when I had to placed an order I had to frequently call on my colleague to assist me. I could tell she was really frustrated with me as she kept on glaring at me and grumbling under her breath. 

After this situation, she rudely ordered me to do various tasks. I was taken aback by her actions and it made me angry. I also felt that she was being unreasonable with her demands as it was only my second day of work. We had a minor argument when there were no customers around and for the rest of the day, we were very cold to one another.

After reading the conflict I had, what do you think should be done to resolve it?

Commented on: Glen, Serena and Shumin

Comments

  1. Thank you, Jean, for sharing this interpersonal conflict from your previous workplace. It is clear, concise and yet comprehensively described.

    There are a few recurring problems in terms of punctuation. See this sentence: "Sometimes in a stressful environment, we may feel frustrated and without realizing channel all of this frustration to the people around us which may then lead to a conflict." >>> Sometimes in a stressful environment, we may feel frustrated, and without realizing, channel all of this frustration to the people around us, which may then lead to a conflict.

    Check out this website: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/607/

    I look forward to reading your peers’ feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, thank you for the feedback. I will make the necessary amendments.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jean!

    Thank you for sharing the conflict that you had.

    Working in the Zoo is sure a memorable experience that I am sure you will take back. I am disappointed by the attitude of your colleague and she should not have treated you in that way or any new colleague as it takes time for everyone to learn a certain new job or skill.

    I feel that it would help if you explain to her your situation of being a newcomer and that you need a little more time to adjust. Talking about it to her would understand the situation better and to put her into your shoes as she was once new to this job as well. Different people do have different learning curves and do take different amount of time to adjust.

    I hope that my advice will help you if you face another situation again!

    Best wishes,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jean,

    Each of us take different time to comprehend something. As a leader she should have taken more effort and time to explain and ensure that you fully understand how to use the system. I feel that it is not responsible of her to just briefly explained it once and expect you to perform as expected.

    If I were in your shoes I would keep asking her questions to clear my doubts even though she briefly explained the steps.

    I hope you will find my solution useful.

    Best wishes,
    Shumin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean,

    From what you had mentions, I do find your colleague being unreasonable as you were new and it is pretty hard even for me to understand information immediately. Everybody has their bad days and it wouldn't be different for your colleague as well. If i were in your position, I would try to ease the tension and talk it out even if you had to joke about it.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jean,
    I feel that your colleague is being unreasonable since it was your second day of work. Your colleague should give chance. Imagine your colleague is in your own shoe what will he/she feel about this situation. I know it is hard to confront to your colleague but i feel that you should what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all,

    Thanks for sharing how you would handle a situation similar to mine.

    Ultimately, I confronted this colleague of mine at the end of the day. I told her that she was being a little harsh throughout the entire day and that it was not very nice as it was only my second day of work. Little did I know, that she too was having a rough day, having to tackle an issue with her family. I immediately felt a sense of empathy towards her as it is definitely hard to focus at work if there is an really big issue going on at home.

    After that day, both of us was able to work well together as there a little more we learnt about each other after the incident. With reference to Johari window, I got to know something about her and she too something about me. Sometimes, it times of desperation of a listening ear, we may open up to someone we barely even know. I am glad i was able to empathize with her when she was going through such a rough moment.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Introduction

Final report